Sunday 1 July 2007

Songs and Sparrows.

I made my song a coat
Covered with embroideries
Out of old mythologies
From heel to throat;
But the fools caught it,
Wore it in the world’s eye
As though they’d wrought it.
Song, let them take it
For there’s more enterprise
In walking naked.

W.B.Yeats

Too often the contribution people have in them to make is not wanted

Or the contribution they make is misused or misunderstood..

Orwell ‘…if one wants to be primarily a writer, then, in our society, one is an animal that is tolerated but not encouraged- something like a house sparrow- and one gets on better if one realises one’s position from the start.’

One does, does one? Maybe this is something I needed to know.


4 comments:

David Howard said...

Creative contributions are so often misunderstood by the audience and the creator. Is it worth getting our knickers in a knot? Someone I know, once thought I was crazy cos I produced art. Funny, I have never felt a bit unhinged. I sometimes wonder though if people really ever make the connections in life. Do they see on one level only - do they believe that New Idea magazine and Current Affair are the pinnacle of our culture. They probably are. Or that football really matters. It probably does.......I am so deluded.

L.M.Noonan said...

Hmm. let's see...housework or art? Such a dilemma.

elisabeth said...

Housework??? Nope, got that sorted years ago.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.